|Reported by:||qwertz||Owned by:|
|Priority:||Nice to Have||Milestone:||Backlog|
Since I won't have much spare time the next months, I thought it'll be better to post what I have so far.
To reproduce the manual, follow these steps (only tested with Windows 8, 64 bit):
- Install MiKTeX (2.9)
- Install TeXnicCenter (2.0 Beta)
- choose output profile LaTeX --> PDF
- use the following arguments for the LaTeX-Compiler: -synctex=-1 -interaction=nonstopmode "%wm" --enable-write18 --pool-size=9000000
(* While the python-script should principially work from within LaTeX, it's better to run it via IDLE, as there are no error messages, if it fails within LaTeX. As a result, the .tex-file containing the script is commented out as a standard.)
- run the python-script. Eventually you have to extract the simulation-folder of the game, so it's no longer a .zip-file and specify the path at the beginning of the script. (This would be a relatively easy to implement improvement, to make the extract process happen automatically). The script will generate a XML-folder and some tex-files-subfolders
- Compile Manual.tex
- Don't underestimate the amount of files generated by the script. Currently there are ~10500 files in the XML-folder, so LaTeX will be slow and may, as well as the script, take several minutes. I don't consider this to be a severe issue, as the manual will not change that often. Would be nice if performance could be improved, though.
Further possibilites to improve:
- Use biblatex instead of bibtex. Currently not needed, as there are no references set. Relatively easy to do, I may be able to do that as I already have it done for my standard-working-template
- It would be better to reduce the amount of manual work needed, as acutally, if there's e.g. a new unit, you would have to add it by hand to the python-script and include the tex-file later by hand to the corresponding civ's tex-file. One could e.g. only have to include the female citizen to get all buildable units, like it's done with the buildings currently.
- If there are any copyright-problems with the pictures in the pictures-folder, please remove them
- the technology-system needs some improvements, currently civ-specific ones are not recognized, e.g. the Colonisation-research doesn't show up on the carthaginian civ centre.
- I'd suggest a <Description></Description> area in the xml's, analog to the description in the research-jsons. This text could be included directly under the subsubsection-heading and could include a short-ingame-description of the unit
- Higher res pics at least for the attack-icons as well as for the timer-icon
- Currently the text at the very beginning of the table ("Basic") is equal for all stuff, this has to be adjusted (currently by hand), it'd be better if for a Structure it'd be "Structure", for a Ship "Ship" ...
- If there are no more fundamental layout-changes in LaTeX and there won't be much more stuff to add, set Keep_Tex_files to true in the script, as then only the .txts containing the values get updated. This is needed, as there will always have to be some manual adjustment for a final version. If there are many new units after manual adjustment took place, exclude the corresponding tex-files via the script.
If something is unclear/doesn't work, send me an email or a PM in the forum. I'll upload the file (.zip) after lunch.