For info on how to permanently change various game settings, see the file binaries\data\config\default.cfg (can be found in the folder where 0 A.D. is installed, which varies on different operating systems). To change a setting, create a new local settings file. The path varies by your OS, see GameDataPaths. Open the new file in your text editor of choice, and copy any lines you want to change from default.cfg into the new local.cfg.
To switch between Windowed and Fullscreen mode in-game press Alt+Enter (except OS X, see below). There are a few settings you can change via the in-game menu as well. You do that by clicking on Menu, then Settings, and there check/uncheck the Enable Water Reflections, and Enable Shadows checkboxes. This can be helpful if the game is slow.
Here are the main graphics settings you may be interested in changing:
- Windowed: If you want to always start the game in windowed mode instead of fullscreen or if you're using OS X (see #741 and #1593), then add windowed=true. You can also adjust the game window size by setting xres and yres to reasonable values (the minimum supported window size is 1024x768).
- Fancy water: If you have an older graphics card, or just don't want all the fancy effects, you can disable them by adding the following lines:
waternormals = false waterrealdepth = false waterfoam = false watercoastalwaves = false waterrefraction = false waterreflection = false watershadows = false
- Shadows: You can disable shadows by adding shadows=false.
- Particles: You can disable particles by adding particles=false.
- Render path: If you have any problems with graphics due to an older graphics card, add the line renderpath=fixed to test the game without shaders. If this fixes the problems, please report it as a bug to us.
Advanced graphics (GLSL only)
If you are using the shader renderpath and have a graphics card/driver with good OpenGL 2.1 support, you can enable some experimental graphics effects by setting preferglsl=true. These include:
- Distance fog. Applies a subtle fog effect on distant terrain and objects.
- Smooth LOS. Smooths the movement of the "line of sight" (aka. "fog of war") around units. Enabled by setting smoothlos=true.
- Advanced mapping effects on buildings (such as AO, parallax, normal and specular mapping). First you need to set gentangents=true, and then depending on your hardware, you can set materialmgr.quality=10 to enable all the effects, 5 to enable only some of the effects, or 0 to turn them off.
- Postprocessing. Enables additional effects, such as brightness/contrast control, depth-of-field, LDR bloom, etc. Set postproc=true.
- Fancy water settings. Enables more realistic water effects like depth-based color, surface shadows, coastal foam and waves. See waternormals, waterrealdepth, waterfoam, watercoastalwaves, waterrefraction, waterreflection, and watershadows settings.
To change whether or not music plays in game bring up the in-game menu by clicking on Menu, then Settings, and there check/uncheck the Enable Music checkbox.
The keyboard shortcuts can be changed with the same process outlined above, just copy the relevant line from the default.cfg file to the local.cfg and change the part after the equal sign (=) and before the semicolon (;). For shortcut key combinations edit the keys between the quotation marks (""), and use a plus sign (+) to tie together more than one key (so don't remove it unless you change a multi-key shortcut to a single key shortcut).