[PATCH] Dedicated server
|Reported by:||elexis||Owned by:|
|Priority:||Nice to Have||Milestone:||Backlog|
|Cc:||andy011973@…, Victor ADASCALITEI||Patch:|
Description (last modified by )
- A dedicated host is a gameserver running from command-line
- It has almost no performance requirements
- no graphics are displayed
- no local player/observer joins the game
- could allow Wildfire Games to host multiple games on a single machine
- can be patched independently from the release cycle (f.e. in case of bugs or abuse)
- might satisfy the demand for servers (as only a minority of users can host/configure their router currently)
- useful for rated games as we could make sure to not quit the server prematurely
- ideally ensure not to kill all games when restarting the lobbybot
Notice that the source code is freely available, which means everyone will be able to use dedicated hosts. It will be the job of the programmers and lobby moderators to prevent and stop abuse.
- the 'Controller' of a game is determined by a secret, so it could be assigned dynamically (r24952)
- hosting can be done on different ports (#3575)
- can host with one account under multiple JIDs (r25407), so a single 'wfg' account can provide the games.
- The whole "spin a 0 A.D. instance, get the access, send the game report, close the 0 A.D. instance" needs to be implemented.
- Starting a new dedicated game could probably be done via an external bot that starts a pyrogenesis executable with appropriate CLI arguments, auto connecting to lobby with a given secret (that the requester knows) so the requester can join-as-host. This would advertise the lobby game.
- How to send the game report & finish the game needs to be determined.
- that bot needs coding.
Change History (27)
comment:9 by , 5 years ago
|Summary:||Dedicated server → [PATCH] Dedicated server|